Hello wonderful readers!!!
It has been a while! So I’ve been having a wild and crazy ride this summer and I feel like I haven’t talked to you guys in foooooorever! It’s been 2 weeks!
First let me tell you guys that I had a pretty bad bicycle accident (as shared on my Instagram), where I got scraped up pretty good. I’m STILL healing from it. My left leg was in pretty bad shape, my right leg had a huge bruise, and my body was hurting all over for a few days afterward. That same week was our crazy huge busy, sidewalk sale at work so I was working some LOOOONG days, with a lot of carrying and lifting of heavy stuff. Then the next week, I strained my leg muscle so bad during softball. I couldn’t walk for at least 2 days, I cried so much. It hurt bad. It still feels not at 100 % but I am making it happen.
With all that going on in life, and it all just piling up at once, I’ve just been trying to rest up and take it easy. But I miss you guys 😦
I’m still trying to go on awesome summer adventures, hang with family and friends, and my favorite, eat delicious food!
Because food makes me happy!
I know I’ve been sharing a bit of heavy food recipes lately. Because it’s summer so I tend to indulge. But in our household, we’ve been trying to cut back on carbs and be more active this summer. It’s hard because CARBS ARE EVERYWHERE! But we’re trying.
In search of Low Carb recipes, I found Zoodles! Spiralized zucchini in replacement of pasta noodles. Genius!
We were unsure if we were going to be big fans of the zucchini noodle, so we didn’t go for a fancy, big, expensive, spiralizer device. We picked up this simple Handheld Spiralizer from OXO. We bought ours at Target for less than $10, and I honestly had no clue how to use it. It turned out to be super simple (watch the youtube video!!!!)
But I thought I was smart enough and sacrificed a zucchini trying to figure it out on my own. Should of looked up the video first.
Inspired, I decided to make one of my favorite recipes, Baked Shrimp Scampi!
(I usually make this with linguine)
Baked Shrimp Scampi Zoodles
- 1 lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large Green or Yellow Zucchini
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 Lemon
- 1 stick Butter, melted
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line shrimp in a casserole dish. Combine shrimp, salt, pepper, red chili flakes, garlic, butter, lemon juice, and white wine.
2. Give shrimp a good toss, until evenly coated. Put in oven for 12 minutes or until shrimp is pink. (not pictured)
3. While shrimp is cooking, make your zoodles. I used both a yellow and a green zucchini.
The spiralizer is the size of a small cup and it took a minute or less to spiralize each zucchini! *I do suggest cutting your zoodles every 6 inches, so they are not too long.
4. Heat up olive oil in a pan over medium heat at cook zoodles for 2-3 minute. *You do not want to over cook the zoodles because they can get mushy
5. Once shrimp is out of the oven, toss in zoodles to combine with shrimp. Get them nice and evenly coated in the sauce.
6. Serve on plate with additional red pepper flakes and parley if desired.
It was tasty tasty!
Considering how healthy this recipe is, it was delicious! I’ve made it with pasta many times before, and I have to say the flavor was not sacrificed at all. The zucchini noodles do NOT taste like pasta, but some how spiralizing them gives them a less overpowering zucchini taste. They really became a chameleon and took on the flavors of the dish! Plus it gave us that texture we crave in a noodle dish.
And it still ended up being really filling and satisfying!
It’s healthy, low carb and gluten free! What more can you ask for?! If you have any low carb recipes, we would LOVE to hear them!
p.s. Don’t forget to check out my other Summer Food!